What’s keeping YOU from going on a short-term trip to the nations to share the gospel? If the answer is money, please don’t let that stop you from signing up for a trip! With a little intentionality and hard work, we have seen people raise the support they needed. The Brook Hills Global Team wants to help you!
There are many ways to raise money for your trip. Here’s some ideas to get you started…
Support Letters or Emails to Friends and Family
One of the most proven and effective ways to raise money for your trip is through sending support letters or emails. Thoughtfully explain the purpose of your trip and your passion to share the gospel with the nations. Inform your friends and family of the financial needs and budget of the trip and if you’re willing, list some ways you can work to earn the money towards the trip (ideas listed below). Please see all the details you should include in your letter HERE.
For an example of a support letter, please email the BH Short-Term Director, Fox, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Go Fund Me is a popular one, although there are fees involved that will be taken out of the total amount of money raised. Razoo is another option that’s free. Note: Giving through these sites is not tax deductible. If your donors want their gift to be tax deductible, they will need to write a check to The Church at Brook Hills with the specific details given in the link above under Support Letters instead of giving through a crowdfunding site.
Keep Security in Mind!
If you use a crowdfunding site to raise money for a BH mission trip and your trip is to a location with moderate or high security risk, DO NOT include details of your trip on the page that would jeopardize security for you, your team, or the partners you’re going to work with! That means...
- DO NOT include specific country.
- Avoid words like "mission trip", "church", "Brook Hills," etc.
- Keep information on the site vague. You can give details to friends and family by other means NOT attached to this site.
- TURN OFF the option for “Visitor Comments” so that those who donate don’t make a comment on the page like “Praying for your mission trip!” that unintentionally jeopardizes the security of you or others.
- Consider turning OFF the “Daily Facebook Post” feature. GoFundMe will automatically post to your Facebook timeline everyday, reminding friends to visit your campaign unless you turn that feature off. If you want to allow that, please make sure your Facebook privacy settings are set to Friends only
- For extra security, you can also turn off the “Display on GoFundMe” so that your page is only visible to those you give the link to and not anyone who gets on the GoFundMe website or app.
If you don’t know what security level your trip is, ask your Team Leader.
Sell Items or Services
You can do this individually or with your team.
- Easily create and sell T-shirts from sites like Fund the Nations, Bonfire Funds and Booster where you can take orders so you don’t have to pay for the shirts out of your own pocket up front. Some of these sites will even ship directly to the buyer for you instead of you having to ship them.
- Have a yard sale or sell things on sites like Ebay, Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist.
- Sell your time and services! You can mow grass, rake leaves, clean houses, babysit, run errands, do odd jobs around the house (like paint), pet sit, or wrap gifts during the holidays, among many other things. If you can get a couple friends to help you, you can even offer a Parent’s Night Out and babysit a group of kids for the evening to raise more money in one night.
- Make and sell something like baked goods, crafts, other types of food, jewelry, etc. If you need more ideas on this, let us know!
- Have a car wash.
- Sell tickets for a dinner (like a spaghetti dinner). Make the food, put it in disposable containers and have a certain time for pickup or delivery.
Because of faithful giving from the Brook Hills faith family to the Global Offering, we are able to offer the following scholarships for short-term trips:
- 50% off students (all ages from elementary to doctorate)
- 15 % off each member of a family going on the same trip
- Up to 50% off if approved for Financial Assistance
We are also able to offer a 50% scholarship to Team Leaders due to regular giving toward the BH budget.
*Scholarships do not apply to the Memphis or Atlanta trips.
We are not able to combine scholarships; only one scholarship per person.
If you have other ideas on ways to raise support that have worked well for you or if you have a support letter that is well written and you would like to share, please email Kelley at email@example.com. We would love to know about them and share with others!
If you have tried to raise the money for your trip using these or other ideas and still have a shortfall in the amount needed, then financial assistance may be available from the Global Offering Fund. Please fill out the Financial Assistance form. We never want money to be the reason you don’t go share the gospel!