Mark Sly Student Minister
1. What is your position/responsibility at Brook Hills?
2. What is your vision/goal for this role?
I am blessed to walk alongside students, leaders, and families as they become followers of Christ, and then learn to lead others to do the same. I love seeing students connect with the truth that God is calling them to follow Him and make an impact right now, not just some distant time in the future.
3. How did God lead you to Brook Hills?
God was leading our family to leave a community that we loved. Initially we thought that would be through becoming missionaries overseas, but through some incredible circumstances and a clear directing to adopt, God brought us here instead!
4. What is something you find unique and appreciate about the church at Brook Hills?
The thing that sticks out the most is that we have an amazing group of people that have bonded around a clear vision/mission/and goal to reach the globe with the good news of redemption through Jesus Christ!
5. Where is your hometown, and what should a visitor see, or eat, or do when there?
I was born and raised in Eaton, Colorado. It is a smaller town north of Denver where someone should take in the spectacular view of the Rocky Mountains and visit a Denver Broncos game. (on Monday night of course!)
6. What have you found to be different here in Birmingham compared to where you came from?
The culture here definitely has a faster pace and more pressure to “keep up with the Jones’.” The weather and city, however are absolutely beautiful!
7. What words would your closest friends use to describe you?
organized, handyman, committed (in a not-institutional way!)
8. Tell us about your family members. Feel free to use adjectives.
I have an amazing wife who loves to serve in the nursery ministry. Together we have three wonderful kids that constantly remind us of God’s grace daily, knowing we don’t deserve kids so great!
9. Tell us about your decision to follow Christ.
As a seven-year-old I knew that I was guilty of sin and wanted to follow Jesus. At ten o’clock one August night my mom lead me through what it meant to surrender my life to Him, and to seek His forgiveness. It has simply been a step-by-step relationship since.
10. Along with redemption, what principle or promise or verse from the Bible has had the most transformative effect on your life?
I Corinthians 10:31. There is no compartmentalizing my faith and relationship with Christ. It must apply to everything, or it means nothing!
11. What spiritual gift do you know you have, because you thoroughly enjoy doing it?
Administration. I love looking at a big picture and then organizing things to make it happen!
12. Name a food you can’t wait to eat in heaven without guilt or consequence?
Steak and chocolate!
13. If you could become a guru/master/expert in any one skill, what would it be and why?
14. If I could win a lifetime supply of something, it would be….
Starbucks of course!